St. Francis in the Fields Episcopal Church was founded by a small group of neighbors, friends, and relatives gathered at the foot of Harrods Creek just off River Road. They were in search of a place to worship God, and a place to raise their children in a Christian environment. With them a spirit would take root that would lead St. Francis in the Fields through a half-century.
Our thirty founders rented a small Baptist church where they attended their first service along with their 31 children on Christmas Eve, 1946. The Rev. Robert Clingman was called to serve as rector. Sunday School classes were held at Walter Bader’s grocery store and adult confirmation classes at the Chick Inn.
By 1948 the congregation outgrew the small village chapel. They purchased seven and a half acres of wooded land on Wolf Pen Branch Road, and built a beautiful Georgian sanctuary and rectory. Membership grew to 300 adults and 100 children and a primary day school was started. St. Francis became a center of community activity, holding baby and TB clinics and becoming a place for polling.